How can a Sexual Assault Advocate help me?
A Sexual Assault Advocate is a specially trained staff or volunteer with the Sexual Assault Crisis and Support Center.
The Sexual Assault Advocate’s role is to inform you of your options & support you in your decisions.
The Sexual Assault Advocate can:
- Accompany you to interviews with Law Enforcement
- Accompany you to interviews with the District Attorney’s Office
- Accompany you to apply for a Protection from Abuse or Harassment
- Accompany you to Court Proceedings
- Be a liaison between you and other system members of the Sexual Assault Response Team (S.A.R.T.)
- Answer questions regarding the S.A.R.T. system members
- Refer you to a list of counselors or therapists
- Assist you in finding out about your reported case
- Explain things when they get confusing
- Provide support for family and friends
- Provide ongoing support throughout the process and beyond
The Sexual Assault Advocate cannot:
- Give legal advice
- Transport you in their vehicle
- Represent you in a court proceeding