Internet Safety for Parents
Statistics Regarding Youth & Cyber Crime
1 in every 17 minors has been threatened or harassed online.
75% of children share personal information about themselves willingly over the internet in exchange for goods & services.
1 in 5 U.S. teens who regularly logs on to the internet has received a sexual solicitation or approach over the internet.
- 1 in 33 teens has been aggressively sexually pursued online.
- 77% of youths are contacted by online predators by age 14 and 22% of children ages 10-13 are approached.
- w100% of the children molested by internet sexual predators went willingly to meet their perpetrators.
Information taken from http://www.umext.maine.edu/cybersafety
Working Together with My Child to Create a Safer Environment
Familiarize yourself with IM & Chat Room acronyms & codes.
Become familiar with social networking sites such as Myspace & the safety measures available.
Create your own Myspace, Friendster, Facebook, Bebo, etc and become involved.
- Keep the computer in a “public area” (somewhere other than the bedroom).
- Know how to check history & become computer/internet savvy!
- Consider cyberspace a community. When our children go out to socialize, we teach them standard precautions. Teach them to be “street smart” & consider the internet a large community. Precautions must be taken, however it CAN be a fun, rewarding, & valuable experience!
|Internet Safety Education|
|Click here to see information for kids regarding internet safetyClick here to see information for Parents|